Tuesday 7 July 2009

Exciting news!

So I went for the big interview last Friday. I spent the whole week preparing. I'd been told to expect a short Excel test and then a formal 45 minute interview so I spent ages refreshing my Excel memory, thinking of answers to obvious interview questions, reading up on the council and the department I was applying for etc. Turned up to the interview and was told I had half an hour before the interview. I had the Excel test to do and could also look at the interview questions and write some notes. The questions were pretty interesting - a few standard 'what skills will you bring to this position?' style ones and then more interesting stuff like 'what is the role of research in the local council?'. Anyway cutting to the chase, I nailed it! All the way through they were scribbling stuff down and saying things like 'great answer'. At the end I asked how long it would be before I heard and was delighted to hear 'within the hour'. I was buzzing when I got out! I knew I'd done the best I could and figured if I didn't get it then there was someone better for it and fair enough. At least I could be sure that I'd done my best.

I drove back to work to give my boss the lowdown on what happened. Just as I was telling her they said they'd ring within the hour, the phone rang. I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo woo!!!!!! I was so excited! It was the best feeling - to know that when the store closes I'm not going to be unemployed and that I'd actually managed to get a better job! I didn't come down from my high for the whole weekend (which made sleeping rather difficult!). So I'm finally going to be using some skills from my PhD, earning a decent wage and not spending weekends at work. I can't wait to get started!!

No comments: